This company is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to the creation of a workplace free from discrimination and harassment. We recruit, hire, train, promote, compensate, and provide benefits and privileges to individuals in all job titles without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, sex, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status. Our company is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
News Director – Full Time – Posted October 31, 2022
Houghton Community Broadcasting is accepting resumes for a full-time position as news director for our three radio stations (soon to be four) in Michigan’s beautiful and historic Keweenaw Peninsula.
Our preferred candidate will:
• Be a self-starter, willing and able to learn our community, find the stories and flourish independently;
• Have excellent writing skills for broadcast and web;
• Have the voice and vocal technique to deliver stories effectively on-air;
• Have long-form interviewing skills;
• Have a good working knowledge of audio production software (Cool Edit/Adobe Audition preferred);
• Be computer savvy, with experience uploading stories to websites (WordPress preferred), and using social media;
• Be eager to develop long-term relationships with local officials;
• Be trustworthy, ethical, a team player, and a good neighbor.
Experience is preferred, but we are open to working with a well-trained beginner.
You’ll become a valued member of our small but hard working team, that each year garners more than our share of awards from our state association for news, sports, feature and entertainment programming (including a recent Station of the Year honor).
You’ll also become the trusted news voice of our wonderful community. Responsibilities will include daily newscasts, meeting and event coverage, hosting our weekly one-hour interview program, and posting stories to our standalone KeweenawReport.com news website, which has more social media followers than our local daily paper.
This is a small market, and pay is commensurate, but the cost of living is modest, and we have a great four-seasons lifestyle. Some sports play-by-play opportunities may also be available. We offer a health insurance plan. Best of all, there’s no corporate BS – we know our owner on a first-name basis. Looking for stability? Our key people have been with us for decades. We love what we do, and we love living here.
Please send your resume, and samples of your audio and writing to: RadioJobUpNorth@gmail.com.
Houghton Community Broadcasting is an Equal Opportunity Employer by choice.
Fulltime Account Executive
You will be responsible for the retail success of the Keweenaw through servicing existing clients and soliciting new advertisers for radio and television through prospecting and cold calling. Success will be found by identifying their marketing needs and customizing a plan to fit their advertising budgets. You’ll be responsible for meeting and exceeding sales goals, managing collections from accounts receivable, writing creative radio commercials for our radio stations and television spots for ABC 10 WBUP and CW 5 WBKP. The ideal candidate will be industry savvy, computer proficient, understanding new social media, and able to provide excellent customer service. To apply, send your resume to the attention of Jeff Harju, Houghton Community Broadcasting Corporation, 313 E. Montezuma Avenue, Houghton, MI 49931, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Complete details available at http://thewolf.com. For questions call Jeff at 906-482-7700. Houghton Community Broadcasting Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Additional high school sports play by play opportunities exist for someone who’s interested.
- Meet or exceed monthly, quarterly, annual sales goals.
- Prospect and develop new clients for increased revenue to the station.
- Generate ideas and sales proposals for prospects and station clients that will bring success to their retail business.
- Provide outstanding client service that becomes the standard for the station.
- Implement and manage all aspects of sales and station promotions sold and be present at client events & station events. Assist with other promotions and marketing efforts as requested by management.
- Recap sales promotions for station clients.
- Create and manage client production needs.
- Responsible for station contracts for their account list and collections.
- Develop areas of non-traditional revenue, i.e. website, social media, that will bring success to both client and company.
- Execute all contests and promotions within the accepted standards of all regulatory laws and station / corporate policies.
- Insure, protect and promote the Houghton Community Broadcasting brand and logo.
- Represent Houghton Community Broadcasting in the highest regard within the community and business environment – be involved in civic and professional organizations to further project the Houghton Community Broadcasting name and image.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours particularly weekends and holidays in support of station events and promotions.
Work Experience Preferred:
– 2 years outside sales/sales promotion experience
Skills & Abilities required:
– Excellent presentation skills
– Outstanding communication skills both oral and written
– Ability to multitask
– Excellent organizational skills, able to set priorities, and be responsive to client requests.
– Demonstrate ability to execute results against strategy and meet critical deadlines
– Highly motivated and enthusiastic
– Strong computer skills in Outlook, Word, and Excel.
– Internet knowledge with website advertising and social media.
– Attention to detail and follow up is necessary.
– The ability to form and continue client relationships on behalf of the radio station.
– Available transportation to/from sales appointments and office.
– College Degree in media, marketing, business or communications
Licenses & Certifications required:
– Valid Drivers License and Reliable Transportation
-Job Location: Houghton, Michigan
Part Time Board Operator
Houghton Community Broadcasting is looking for a part-time board operator. This position involves coordinating sports events from the studio and facilitating other remote broadcasts. The candidate that will be hired should expect to be able to work nights and weekends, with some late weekday hours during the spring.
All shifts will be paid a minimum of four hours, except for a Sunday morning church service, no matter how long an assigned game lasts.
Required: Good communication skills, independence, and some knowledge of sports. The qualifying candidate will need to have some knowledge of running a computer program, i.e. cutting, pasting, icons, mini programs or subroutines, and military time. They should also have had some background in a basic audio mixer and its operation.
Desired: Some background in audio editing, a program such as Adobe Audition. A pleasant speaking voice, and dealing with the public, either via the phone or in person.
Preference will also be give to someone who is in the area and able to work during semester break and the first two weeks in March. Our hours will be less during the months of June through August.
To apply: Contact Kevin Ericson. Email email@example.com or call 906-482-7700 with questions. Please give work experience and if possible an audio sample.
Wolftrax Mobile DJ Service: WEEKEND DJ NEEDED
Wolftrax Mobile DJ Service is looking for a high energy, music loving, weekend DJ for bookings on a regular basis at local bars and establishments. Applicants must have a reliable vehicle, clean driving record, and a valid driver’s license. Experience is preferred but we will train the right person. Send your brief resume and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 906-482-7700 during weekday business hours. Houghton Community Broadcasting Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.